• Academics
  • Research Center
  • Facebook
  • Twiter
  • me2DAY

unistlogo

검색
지구본
Bien's Integrated Circuit Design Lab School of Electrical & Computer Engineering in UNIST

Research Interests

By 변영재2012-04-22
 Research Interests--

1. Wireless Power Transfer Research

Wireless Power Transfer is nothing new. In 1901, Nicolas Tesla already demonstrated the possibility of powering up a lightbulb distance away. In 2007, research lab in MIT published a WPT paper in Science using electro-magnetic resonance. These technologies are all based on science and they follow the physical limitations and principles.

In BICDL at UNIST, we are proposing a novel way to maximize the efficiency of WPT for given condition, such as distance and output power. Antenna-Locked Loop (ALL) is a research field that we are proposing that can adaptively tune the Q and impedance of the receiving antenna such that the resonance condition can be adjusted with the change in the environment.

With success of this research, WPT can be more practical enabling wireless charging for Future Electric Vehicles, let alone consumer electronics. This work is currently funded by the Ministry of Science and Education of South Korea.

2. Traditional Analog & Mixed-signal IC Design

Mixed signals technology-dedicated to demonstrating and evaluating high-speed serial links using optical, wired or wireless channels-provides exposure in the area of high data-rate wireless, wired and optical applications.

The primary research goal for this is to explore, develop and demonstrate innovative solutions that enable signal integrity for wireless, wired and optical communication systems.

Particular emphasis is given to developing and evaluating silicon ICs that can compensate for static and stochastic channel impairments such as band limitation, dispersion and mode-partition noise. As a result, these silicon ICs extend the data reach distance and/or improve the bit-error rate (BER), enabling data communication beyond its original design specifications.

Within the unified 10Gbit/s physical layer initiative, Mixed signal technology is involved in researching and developing short reach (chip-to-chip) and long reach (backplane) electrical interconnects.

3. Traditional CMOS RF ICs & System-on-Chip

RF Circuit Design for Wireless Personal Area Networks: With working experience at Staccato Communications, I would like to continue to exploit the wireless connectivity efforts made possible with newly developed standards. Certified Wireless-USB, Bluethooth 3.0, and WiMedia would be an immediate impact, while developing lower-power, higher data throughput radio is a must. As wireless technology becomes a seamless part of our everyday lives, we often forget that it's attributed by Radio Frequency communications that makes it all happen. To take advantage of higher data transfer rate along with one chip solution, I will expand design categories into wireless communication circuit block designs. However, RF technology is not only for the wireless world. All high-frequency devices use it. For example, all the researches based on fiber-optic/copper interfaces that are delivering the broadband data transfer employed RF concepts more or less, At frequencies above a few GHz, for example, the length of the on-chip connections between components starts to become important and can no longer be neglected. Input and output circuitry, die bonding and device packaging also become increasingly important. All of these are what I have recently experienced and I will continue the researches leveraged to RF front-end design field. More specifically, the area of VCOs and PLLs, LNA and mixer design is of my research interest.

System on Chip (Mixed signal chip design): Today's system-on-a-chip (SOC) is attractive enough due to the high demands of power, speed, and cost, and also the market is enormous by its well-known simplicity of chip functions compared to the multi-chip solution and variety of customization. This research area is not mature yet and there are huge number of research topics considering digital field and analog field applications. From a digital design perspective, the appropriate design and test methodologies are, for the most part, already in mature state. Scan techniques will continue to be used to move test information about a complex IC, regardless of the core origin. In contrast, no simple method exists in which to move analog information around on an IC without serious degradation of its signal-to-noise ratio. This limits the solutions to carefully crafted test buses, on-chip digitizers and on-chip analog signal generators. Consideration towards using existing chip resources, such as DSP-core, can simplify the design of specialized test hardware. My plan of research on this area is, by applying my experience on mixed signal chip design, I’ll work on automatic fault detection area, one chip solution, and potential mixed-signal/analog test techniques for cores consisting of A/Ds, D/As, Physical layer circuits using PLLs, and RF and optic transceivers.

4. V2V, V2I, & In-Vehicle Communications

Ubiquitous Networking for Vehicle Telematics Integrated Circuits design: As the cost barrier for global positioning systems (GPS) becomes more affordable due to low cost Integrated Circuits and GPS receivers, the area of ubiquitous networking for vehicle telematics is both practical and have vast area for research and development opportunities. I would like to work on several projects that can enable low-cost, high-performance vehicle telematics ICs. As more and more vehicle are equipped with GPS, adding communication systems to share current vehicle information among other vehicles unanimously can form a ubiquitous network. Those transmit and receive of information doesn’t require high bandwidth, but should not interfere with other established frequency bands. Cognitive radio technology, ultra-wideband (UWB) technology can be used for such transceivers. More and more parts within a vehicle is depending on precise sensing and control by an integrated circuits for modern vehicles. I would like to expand my expertise to work close with Motor Car companies like Hyundai Motors for the development of automotive ICs enabling the automotive car companies be more competitive with their productions while providing lower cost and safer vehicles to the customers. 

Add a Comment

Please comply with our guidelines. Our site do not require the use of your real name.
comment